Pressure washing is a quick and effective way to clean and refresh the exterior of your home. But if not done correctly, it can also lead to costly mistakes and even damage to your home. Here are the top 10 mistakes to avoid when pressure washing your home:
- Using the wrong nozzle: Different nozzles are designed for different surfaces and cleaning needs. Using the wrong nozzle can result in uneven cleaning or even damage to your home’s exterior.
- Holding the nozzle too close to the surface: It’s important to hold the nozzle at least 12 inches from the surface to prevent damaging it. Holding it too close can strip paint or damage siding.
- Using too much pressure: While high pressure can be effective in removing tough stains, it can also damage certain surfaces. Be sure to adjust the pressure to the appropriate setting for the surface you are cleaning.
- Neglecting to protect windows, doors, and other delicate areas: Cover or tape off windows, doors, and other delicate areas to prevent water and cleaning solutions from seeping in and causing damage.
- Using the wrong cleaning solutions: Different surfaces require different cleaning solutions. Using the wrong solution can result in streaks or even damage to the surface.
- Failing to test the cleaning solution: Before using a cleaning solution on a large area, be sure to test it in a small, inconspicuous spot to ensure it won’t damage the surface.
- Skipping the pre-treatment step: Pre-treating tough stains with a cleaning solution before pressure washing can make the cleaning process more effective and easier on your pressure washer.
- Not rinsing the surface thoroughly: Be sure to rinse the surface thoroughly after pressure washing to remove any remaining dirt or cleaning solution.
- Neglecting to repair any damage before pressure washing: If your home has any cracks, holes, or other damage, be sure to repair them before pressure washing. This will prevent water from seeping in and causing further damage.
- Neglecting to follow the manufacturer’s instructions: Be sure to carefully read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your pressure washer to ensure proper use and maintenance.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can effectively pressure wash your home and keep it looking its best. Just be sure to exercise caution and follow best practices to prevent any damage to your home’s exterior.